Thursday, April 3, 2008

weather.

I know you're dying to know what the weather has been like in Edinburgh. So, I'll tell you. Prior to today, Edinburgh was blessed with a couple unseasonably warm days. They were fantastic. Fifteen, maybe eighteen degrees (60sF ish). At Deacons, we had the doors open and tables outside - it was a welcome change to the typical Edinburgh day.

I used the warm days - or the day I had off - to get a little well needed exercise. One of my staff meal options at work is haggis - a traditional Scottish dish. I eat it often. Before I list the ingredients, let me assure you that the completed dish actually tastes amazing. Haggis consists of sheep's heart, liver, and lungs and is mixed with oatmeal, spices, maybe some onions. Traditional haggis is prepared in the sheep's stomach.

Aren't you dying to try a dish? If the description isn't enough to make your mouth water - here is a picture ...


So, although haggis probably isn't the healthiest dish to eat two or three times a week, I can't help but not order it at work. I mean, when will I be working and living in Scotland ever again? And it truly is delicious.

The run on my day off took me to the summit of Arthur's Seat. Arthur's Seat is an 823ft mountainesk hill that is just outside of Edinburgh. Not an easy run - or walk for that mater - but I enjoy the challenge and if nothing else the unbeatable views of Edinburgh, its suburbs, and the Firth of Forth.


The warm days last week were apparently only a taunting taste of what Edinburgh's summer will feel like. Today, as I was walking to work at 9am, I was fighting gusting winds, cold, and ... snow showers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I think I will use this dish to tempt Donna to start eating meat.

Seriously, it looks better than it sounds but I couldn't stomach the thought of trying it when I was there.

It does look like it is getting nice there. Scotland really is pretty once the weather gets nicer.

Uncle John

Anonymous said...

For some reason I'm not getting the picture of the haggis - guess I'll just come for a visit and try it for myslf. Only 4 weeks!
Dad

Cat said...

yummmmm haggis! i hated scottish food aside from that and butter cookies. wanna send me some if i send you some cow stomach or pigs cheek?? wish you guys could be here for feria!