Thursday, October 18, 2007

back in courtown

Greetings, friends. Believe it or not, I'm back in the same internet cafe in Courtown that I was 11 days ago when I posted on the 8th of this month. So much has happened between now and then - my apologies for not having posted since then. I also, unfortunately, haven't done any writing to keep you up to date with my adventures.

I spent the last two weeks working towns in the area around Dundalk. The team I was transferred to was wonderful. I was sad to see them go today as I dropped them off in the streets of Dublin. My old team leader (Danny) and his girlfriend (Bec) decided they were ready to be done with face2face. Bec is from Australia and will be heading home within the next couple weeks. Danny is from Galway and is heading that way to work for a couple months before moving to Australia with Bec. They were heaps of fun to work and travel with for two weeks.

The three of us and Brian (who also moved to Galway by the way to find different work) spent last Saturday driving to the Giant's Causeway (I don't have time to describe the Causeway in its entirety, so check out this link!). The drive through Belfast and along the Causeway Coastal Route was spectacular. By far some of the most breathtaking coastline I've seen in Ireland. I'd love to post pictures, however Brian and I didn't mind the crashing swells at the Causeway. As I was turning around to take a picture, a giant wave soaked my jeans and thus, my camera.

Last Sunday, Brian and I hiked a slieve (Irish word for mountain) that was just outside of my place in Carlingford. We started late and didn't reach the modest 581 meter summit until nearly dusk. We ended up making our way back to our car in the dark - the only thing that saved us from sleeping on the side of the mountain was finding a stream that we knew led to our car. Only would Brian and I find ourselves in this scenario.

I will work tomorrow and then head to Dublin to meet my folks. They arrived in Dublin this morning. I will be traveling with them all next week. When they leave, I'll either come back to face2face for a couple weeks or head to Galway to find a different job.

Only time will tell.

I'll do my best to try and write more in the next week. I hope you are all well.

All the best,

mdk

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your parents have a great time out there! It looks amazing, and I cant wait to come out and play!

Unknown said...

Wow, that descend sounds incredibly dangerous...didn't you read "Into Thin Air"?! It will be nice to have a week off of work and visit with the folks. Have a fantastic week and take care!

Lauren said...

too bad about your camera... did you run around flashing anyone when the water hit you? ;)

Cat said...

hey mister, in case brian didn't tell you, i have a few dys off and ive already booked a rather expensive ticket to come to ireland. ill be arriving in dublin about 535 pm on nov 1 and leaving from dublin early on the 4th. will you be around? and please, find some time to escape the cold weather and come to spain. its still about 28 degrees here.