Friday, January 18, 2008

For now, I'm 'stuck' in Spain

Hello, all. Here is the latest craic. As the title of this post states, I'm currently 'stuck' in Spain - alas, there could be worse places to be beached.

To explain why I'm stranded, I must first explain how I got here.

Brian and I booked our tickets to Spain when we were still on the Emerald Isle. We knew we would be leaving the UK and wanted to get to Espana to visit our friend Cat - we figured the cheapest way was the best ... but hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.

We booked a cheap fare from East Midlands in England to Barcelona. As you know if you've been following my journey, we have yet to see Barcelona. When we were in Edinburgh, we decided it would be cheaper for us to fly to Faro - when considering transportation to East Midlands, accommodation along the way, etc - than to catch a bus or train to East Midlands. It was, for about 20 pounds we booked a one way flight to Faro and somehow spent a week in (somewhat) sunny Portugal where the cost of living was significantly cheaper than the UK.

Our flight out of Barcelona was to leave today at 1:40. The next problem was getting from our current location of Sevilla to Barcelona. Having only traveled Ireland when we booked our ticket, we wrongly assumed (ass out of u and me - in this case, more just me) you could hop on a bus to any city for at most 20 quid. Sevilla, as we have come to learn is a 16 hour, 95 Euro, bus ride away from Barcelona. Once we arrived in Barcelona, we'd then only have a ticket to East Midlands - which, as we now know, is a 50 or 60 Pound bus or train ride from our current home of Edinburgh.

What we end up with, is the fact that for now, I'm 'stuck' in Spain. The goal: figure out the quickest, most cost-effective way to get from Sevilla to Edinburgh.

But, for now, I'm off to wander the streets of 17C (65F) Sevilla.

salud, mdk

No comments: