Monday, January 7, 2008

it's just Domingo

I've been in Portugal for just over 24 hours and have already fallen in love with the country - and, I've yet to leave the quaint little town of Faro.

Faro is everything I would expect it to be. Brian and I have spent half of our time wandering the streets and skinny alleyways which are covered in smooth, light-colored cobblestones. I was excited for the sun, though it has yet to break through the clouds. Nevertheless, even when overcast (and 17 degrees Celsius!), Faro feels far more brighter than Ireland or Edinburgh. I can't wait for the sunlight.

We arrived yesterday - Sunday - to find the streets of Faro essentially deserted; nearly all the shops and cafes we came across were closed. When we saw our friend Cat in Edinburgh, she told us that the Spanish celebrate Christmas on January 6th. My thought was that the Portuguese also celebrate Christmas on this day. When I was ordering beers at a bar/cafe yesterday, I asked the man behind the bar if today was some sort of a holiday. He looked at me somewhat perplexed - in part, maybe because of the language barrier - but, in part I guess also because of the apparent absurdity of my question. "No," the man told me, "it's just Domingo."

I could get used to Domingo in Portugal.

2 comments:

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

I checked Faro on the internet. As I said a picturesque area of days gone by. So much to see in our world. So much beauty and so much diversity. Oh, but life is too short. I am currently reading The Namesake. I will share a quote from the book with you. An old man who had traveled giving advise to a young man. "Do yourself a favor before it's too late, without thinking too much about it first, pack a pillow and a blanket and see as much of the world as you can. You will not regret it. One day it will be too late." Savor the moments. :)

matthew d kyhnn said...

mamma - love the quote. i couldn´t imagine myself anyplace else in life right now. i´m so thankful i have your support of my travels. miss and love, md.