Tuesday, February 12, 2008

lifestyle i've chosen

I sit down to write not with any exciting news of travels, pictures of places seen, or people met. I'd be foolish if I expected my journey of traveling and working abroad to be nothing but partying, pleasure, and completely enjoying myself. There are - without a doubt - going to be setbacks to conquer and hills to climb. I'd also be naive to not admit that thus far I've had a pretty good hand dealt to me.

Ireland treated me amazingly. Immediately upon my arrival to the country, I fell in love with the place, the people, and this was surely made possible by my (relatively) carefree three weeks of traveling. When the three weeks or so came to an end, I made the decision to work for face2face. While the work was difficult and I often questioned my employment with the company, it provided many advantages. Free accommodation - I was able to earn Euros while paying nothing for a place to sleep each night. Though I worked long and difficult hours, the pay was good. I believe hindsight has shown me that the greatest benefit from working for face2face wasn't the free accommodation, it wasn't the wages, it maybe wasn't even the feeling of knowing that I was making a difference in the lives of others, but that it provided a perfect venue to make irreplaceable friendships. These friendships absolutely added to my experience in Ireland - an experience that I consider invaluable - one that I will surely remember the rest of my life.

In Galway, I had stupid luck. With zero experience serving, I quite frankly probably didn't deserve the opportunity to work for Ard Bia. But thanks to the goodwill of the staff - namely my manager, within three days of my arrival to Galway, I was working for a brilliant restaurant. Again, I was able to meet wonderful people and immediately had a steady flow of income.

Things in Edinburgh are taking longer to fall completely into place. My attempts at finding gainful, full-time employment have so far been fruitless. I've spent more than a couple afternoons canvassing the town, introducing myself to potential employers, and dropping off my CV with hopes of finding the perfect job. As of yet, it hasn't come my way. And, I have to realize, the perfect job may not immediately (or ever) fall into place. Luckily, the temp agency I'm working for has provided me with the opportunity to work - albeit, none of this work has been overly glamorous or exciting. But, it's work nonetheless.

I guess the purpose behind this post is to show that this path I've chosen isn't as easy as it's maybe seen. I'm hundreds of miles away from close friends, familiarity, and most importantly family. I'm watching my two year old nephew grow up through occasional webcam hellos. Anyone who knew me well in university would know that telephone conversations with my parents were a two or three time a day occurrence. Lately, a weekly hello and email is the extent of my relationship with my folks and my sister. All this being said, I consider myself unbelievably lucky to know that I have the support of such a loving family - regardless of how many miles or time zones separate us. Lucky, as well, to be on this journey - challenges or not.

So with the lifestyle I've chosen comes ups and downs. It's all part of the experience. I'll remember the ups and the downs will surely make me a stronger person.

stay well, everyone. thanks for reading. - mdk

5 comments:

Unknown said...

With your enjoyment for great quotes, I thought I would share this one by James Baldwin:

"I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself."

I believe this is quite fitting with your and Brian's 'lifestyle chosen.' Those ups and downs are important, but more so is the recognition of that importance. Great post! Take care as always.

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

I share Stephanie's sentiments. As I was reading your post, and was being very moved by, I also thought about how introspective it was. What a wonderful opportunity for both growth and understanding - not only of yourself but the world around you.

Love and miss you too, mom.

Cat said...

Matt, my friend, I can totally sympathize with you. I didn't feel at home in Sevilla for weeks. I was all by myself, struggling with the language, dealing with crazy Spanish beauracracy that seems to change daily and adjusting to a new job. It was like I lost every single thing I knew about myself. But look how far the three of us have come - what we've seen, what we've done, who we've met. EVERYTHING will fall into place in some time. I feel like I now have everything I need here in Sevilla. I'm talking about getting certified to drive here with a stick shift car and even buying a car (well, you know I wouldn't be buying it!!). Things tke time, and I bet if I checked in with you again in a month, you'd say, "Cat, things are brilliant."

ps I found a place with Guiness on tap here for your next visit.

Skype me if you wanna vent or talk.

Dan said...

Matt, I've enjoyed keeping up with what travel-related events are going on in your life. This post, however, was more about how that travel has impacted you. I think your thoughts on how your travels are changing you are priceless compared to the beautiful sights and sounds of another country. Were your blog a 5 paragraph essay, this would be the body. It's a good body.

I've learned here at school that change in the narrator is necessary for any good nonfiction.

One day when you turn this blog into the bestselling travelogue it will eventually be, this is what will be most interesting.

emma said...

Matt, I wish I could've been there on this day to give you a hug. Of course you have great perspective on your situation, you're that kind of person. You're right about it all, it's character building, and like everyone else has said, I'm sure in no time you'll feel properly settled, and will have someone as amazing as me to hang out with you there in Edinburgh.