Saturday, February 2, 2008

settled in edinburgh

So, I just got back to my flat from work and my face is numb from the cold. My beard typically protects my face – at least somewhat – from the bitter and biting wind that has become ubiquitous here in Scotland’s capital city.

Wait. Flat? Work? Yes, much has transpired since I last posted from Edinburgh’s NewCityHostel. I had spent much of my time in the past couple weeks scanning Gumtree for job and flat postings. I sent out my CV to many restaurants and hotels outside of Edinburgh - the upside to these jobs is that the employer would provide live-in accommodation. Unfortuantely, many of these employers were also looking for a long - term commitment. This is something I wasn't comfortable with. I want to be able to travel. Also, my parents will be visiting again sometime soon. My thought is I will have more flexibility with a job here in Edinburgh.

Now, about finding accommodation. Not surprisingly, most landlords or current tenants want a long term or short term (at least six month) commitment on a flat. Again, I just wasn't ready to make that sort of a commitment. I like Edinburgh - a beautiful city, full of travelers, with much to offer - arts, social scene, history, proximity to airport, etc - but, three months from now, I might want to head someplace else within the UK.

So, what did I find? In my mind, the best possible option for where I'm at right now.

My job: I'm currently working for two different hospitality staffing agencies. The work should be interesting to say the least - if nothing else, I'll experience something different each time I work. At least for now, it's perfect. I worked tonight, I work tomorrow night, I work Sunday night, and I have shifts scheduled all next week. The priceless advantage is the fact that I'm paid weekly. So, already next Thursday, I'll be paid by two employers. Much needed pay after my extended holiday + deposit on flat + first months rent.

So, the flat: Again, I must say, it's ideal for the situation I'm in. Brian and I are living in a quaint two room, top floor flat. It is quite cozy, to say the least - but, it really is nice. The location is ideal - we're three minutes away from one of the main streets here in Edinburgh. The price is right. Most importantly, we're not tied down to staying here. The owner is trying to sell the flat - so we just have to be here one or two times a week to show the place. Once it sells, it will be at least two months before the sale is finalized and we have to move out. If we want to leave, we just need to give the owner three weeks. It's great to finally have a place to call 'home.' It has literally been five months since I've been able to properly unpack my pack. Plus, we have a fireplace. I mean, you can't beat it.

My face is cold, because as I walked into work tonight at the Edinburgh Sheraton, the first thing I heard was, "You, the beard has to go." I mentioned that it has been five months since I've properly unpacked my pack, I would also venture to guess it's been five months since I've had a properly, clean-shaven, face.

So, for the moment, I'm settled in Edinburgh. cheers.

No comments: