Monday, February 25, 2008

iowa ... potatoes?

"So, where are you from? Canada?" the man with the North American accent asked me.

"No, I'm from the states actually. From Iowa," I told him.

"Ohhh, Iowa. Potatoes, right," he declared.

"No, you're thinking Idaho. Only corn, soybeans, pigs, and cows in Iowa" I corrected him.

"No, I'm pretty sure Iowa has potatoes," he again declared rather affirmatively.

"Nope," I said again. "No potatoes in Iowa."

One of the other men at the table apparently didn't believe me either. "Yah, you always see 'Made in Iowa' on bags of potatoes in Canada."

Maybe I didn't live in Iowa for 22 years of my life?!

This conversation - or should I say subtle argument - took place at work tonight. I'm one of Edinburgh's newest bartenders. I started one week ago today at a pub called Deacon Brodie's Tavern.

deacon brodies tavern

Deacon Brodies is situated directly on the Royal Mile - only five or ten minutes away from Edinburgh's emblematic Edinburgh Castle which towers over most of the city. While we do have our Scottish regulars, many of Deacon Brodies' patrons are tourists (Eg. The stubborn Canadians). I'm again lucky to have the opportunity to tend bar. While I have plenty of bar experience, the vast majority of this is on the other side of the bar. The tavern is a typical Scottish pub with a selection of Scottish beers, cask ales, and an assortment of malt whiskeys. Considering this, most of my time is spent pouring pints, mixing cocktails, and acting as though I know the ins and outs of malt whiskeys (our Whiskey Bible describes the malts as having characteristics such as 'fruity,' ''floral,' 'smoky,' 'soapy,' etc. I mean, come on!).

That's the latest news in the life of me. If I'm not working at Deacon's, I'm working various assignments for the temp agency. If I'm not doing this, I'm being quite lame as I'm still ... shall we say, broke. My goal as of now is to save money as I have a trip planned for the end of March.

On the 24th of March, I'll be flying from Newcastle, England, to ... Cork, Ireland. Yes, I'm heading back to the Emerald Isle. My good friend Lauren Lewis has always wanted to visit Ireland and decided now, with my close proximity to the island, would be the ideal time. Less than a month away ... it will be here before I know it. I'm excited to go back and am trying to plan the perfect trip.

Thanks to everyone for the supportive words I received after my last post - I appreciate your encouragement and thoughts.

best, mk

6 comments:

Rob said...

This is a first for me. I check your blog everyday, but I have never posted a comment. I promise to do a better job, as I get disappointed when you don't write more than once a week.

When I first heard you were going abroad to live and work in a pub; I pictured in my mind the kind of place you are working now. It looks like a nice place.

My friends and family ask how you are doing all the time and every time we all say the same thing..."boy I wish I was young again, I would do it differently. He is so lucky!" Enjoy it all. You will have the rest of your life to work a real job. Take Care! Rob

Anonymous said...

Matthew,
Nice pub, in fact I think Donna and I had a drink at this pub.

Keep working on the malts.

Uncle John

Brightman said...

that pub looks fun! I'm glad you're feeling settled, even in the least. Exciting you get to return to Ireland though, no doubt that will be a wonderful trip for you!

As for the potatoes, apparently that isn't an uncommon confusion, even here in the states. I remember my freshman year I was in D.C. for spring break visiting a friend, and upon my introduction to her friends there and telling them I was from Iowa, they just laughed at me. "Iowa? Why would you live in Iowa? What's there...potatoes?" Little do they know what really is here!

Sorry, long comment...I've enjoyed keeping up with you through your posts. Hope all is well and sending my love to you and B...

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

Now let's have a photo of your flat so I can visualize you there too :)

Lauren said...

yay! I made it to the blog! Can't wait... 25 more days!

emma said...

looking forward to seeing you back here in ireland.