Wednesday, December 19, 2007

brief update

So, I've been trying to keep my birthday under the radar. I don't see much of a reason to get excited about birthdays. They're important, yes, but don't require special nights out, presents, and the like. I'll be twenty three years old. I think a person should step back on their birthday and think about their life. Think about the person they've become. Think about what they want to accomplish with the rest of their life. Be thankful to be alive. But, this doesn't require any action by anyone else.

I'm working Friday night - I didn't see any reason to ask off. Quite frankly, I didn't even think about it. I need the money. I like my job. So, I'll work on the night of my birthday. But, as a coworker was leaving work tonight, she asked, "So, how old are you going to be on Friday Matty?"

"Twenty three," I instinctively said. "But, whoa, wait, how did you know?"

So, who knows what will happen! I guess, if someone wants to treat me to a pint of Guinness, I won't probably say no. It's actually good for you, you know.

We've had some luck searching for couches in Norway. I've lined up a place to stay on the 26th when we arrive in Oslo. Brian purchased a Lonely Planet Norway book and has been researching and planning some sort of an itinerary for our time there. Fjords. Viking Ships. Who knows? From what I've read, despite being extremely expensive, Norway should be absolutely beautiful.

I realized today how much I love this town. I could see myself living here. I'm quite happy in Galway. Hell, I haven't left since I arrived nearly two months ago. I think this is mostly because I really enjoy my job. I guess not surprisingly, I really like the hospitality industry. I enjoy the interaction with our customers. But I do reckon I'll be happy wherever I eventually decide to settle down. I loved Iowa City and could see myself there. I loved Washington, DC, and could see myself there. Atlantic, well, I'm not sure I could settle down in Atown.

My roommates and I are planning our Christmas. We'll make some sort of a dinner. Actually, I think Brian is going to bring a ham and a turkey from the Delphi Lodge. We also intend on jumping into Galway Bay. I made the suggestion weeks ago. It seemed like a interesting way to celebrate Christmas. Crazy, I know. Stupid, probably. Will it actually happen? We'll see.

3 comments:

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

YOUR MOM IS HAPPY YOU ARE MAKING CHRISTMAS PLANS. IT WILL HELP ME MISS YOU LESS IF I KNOW YOU ARE CELEBRATING WITH FRIENDS. SPEAKING OF FRIENDS...I VISUALIZE YOU X-MAS DAY LIKE AN EPISODE OF "FRIENDS". SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN GOOD COMPANY.

LOVE MOM

Cat said...

hi friend,
i love catching up with your blog and knowing im not the only one loving europe. just so you know, its about 65 degrees in southern spain (cold for me now), but it should be incentive for you to get down here! i think ill be in edinburgh about 5 or 6 pm on 3 jan and there the whole next day, too. you can meet my bearded loverboy! let me know if you get a new number, etc. cant wait to catch up with you again in europe! but i will warn you that spanish beer sucks compared to beer elsewhere in europe. un beso.

Brightman said...

just thought i would drop in to wish you a merry christmas, and belated birthday!! i hope your jumping or swimming or whatever you're out doing today is safe! much love from the states,

c. brightman