Saturday, December 15, 2007

your one

Today is the 15th of December - amazing how time flies. I have less than two weeks before I leave Ireland. I'll miss this place, really, I will. Everything about it. I was walking up Shop Street today after work - it was windy, cold, and I was wrecked after eight hours at the cafe (I've caught another cold). As I was walking up the street, I said out loud to no one except myself and everyone that was walking by, "I'm going to fucking miss this country."

I'm not sure what prompted it. One of the street performers playing their guitar? An old drunk walking down the street with his can - wishing people 'Merry Christmas' all the way? Overhearing the Irish accents of the people I passed? The pint of Guinness sitting in my stomach? Or, most likely, the combination of all of this and the realization that I have little time left in such a wonderful part of this world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm unbelievably excited for what the next week, month, and year of my life will bring. I'm excited for the unknown. I still don't know where I'll be staying in Norway or Edinburgh - yet alone my nine days in Spain. Mom, don't worry, I'll figure something out!

I'll end (as I often do) with a description of the title of this post. I've been trying to figure out some way to shed light on one of my favorite Irish phrases. I've picked up on many of the common ones - brilliant, grand, (occasionally) thanks a million (thanks a mil if you're rushed), and the more common cheers. But, one I've been unable to add to my everyday conversation is the phrase 'your man' or 'your one.'

They're both really wonderful. Every time I hear an Irish person use the phrase I smile. Really, I do. My Irish friend Danny uses it often - and I love it. Or, for example, I'll be working at Nimmo's and opening a bottle of wine for table 10 and I'll hear a woman on table 12 telling a story - I won't have any idea what the story is about, but then I'll hear, "... and then your man ..."

So, I'm sure you're dying to understand how it is used. Basically, 'your man' or 'your one' functions as a pronoun. Instead of, he-she, you use your man (or your one if it is a woman).

eg.

I was at work today and there was this lady on table 13 who complained about everything - in the end, what she had to complain about really boiled down to nothing at all. She just wasn't happy. And, she wasn't fun to deal with. So, when my coworker Courtney came upstairs, I said to her, "Your one down one table 13 is loads of fun (me being sarcastic). She's a real headache."

When I use it, it sounds scripted, fake, and pushed - and for this reason, I rarely use it. But, when a proper Irish lad or lassie uses it, it truly is ... brilliant.

2 comments:

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

Matthew - I too am sad you are leaving Ireland and I too have been reflecting on your time in the Emerald Isle. I understand how this beautiful country and fascinating people have become a "part" of you. A part that will be a piece of your soul forever.

Love and prayers, mom

Unknown said...

Wow, Matt Kyhnn! I can't believe your time in Ireland is almost over. It seems to have gone by quickly. Your and Brian's excitement to venture on to the second portion of your travels through Europe, is shared with my excitement to read on. Continue the great work with your blog and take care!