Thursday, December 27, 2007

jessheim

Brian and I got off the train in Jessheim (yes heim) yesterday evening around 11 or 12. It immediately felt like we were in Norway - it was cold, clear, and the streets were lined with snow. We were unsure of where we were supposed to go. Our couchsurfing host was at a party and hadn't yet returned our call. I'm sure we looked of lost travelers as we walked up the main street of Jessheim (a town of 14,000) with our backpacks - surely not an every day site in the middle of a Norwegian winter.

As we walked past a number of small bars, a couple of things became clear to me. Firstly, I was premature in my evaluation of the Norwegian women. They are beautiful. Secondly, it became clear that the people of Norway are wonderful. Three or four guys drinking outside of a pub had flagged us over to them. They wanted to know what in the world we were doing in Jessheim. We explained our stories. As we were getting ready to leave, one of the guys reached into his pocket and tried to give me a 100 Krone note (equivalent to about €15). I told him I couldn't take his money - he then insisted on going inside and buying us two beers.

We made our way to meet up with our couchsurfing host - Oyvind. We were greeted by Oyvind and his friend Espen and they immediately insisted we take some shots and go to the local bar. We had too many expensive pints, made fools of ourselves on the dance floor, but had a wonderful night out in our first Norwegian town. We spent most of today sleeping - Brian and I are both drained after the Christmas festivities and a day of traveling.

We plan on getting up early tomorrow and heading to Oslo to catch a train towards either Bergen or Voss. Our Lonely Planet Norway book describes the Oslo - Bergen railway as, "one of the most spectacular rail journeys on Earth." Sounds like a plan?

Below are some of my latest pictures as well as a video of our Christmas day swimming adventure.


notice the howling wind.

Getting dressed for Christmas mass. Brian had forgot how to tie a tie.


Walking to mass with a pint. It only seemed right.


Perfectly prepared Irish coffees for Christmas morning (brown sugar, whiskey, coffee, and a mix of pouring cream and whipped cream). They are supposed to look like pints of Guinness. I'd say they do!

emma.




a christmas afternoon nap

At the Dublin airport. Temporary bar facility? We were walking through the terminal and I wasn't sure whether the area where we would be would have a pub. I said to a lady how was coming the other way, "Are there pubs and restaurants this way?" She replied with, "You're in Ireland. There are pubs everywhere." Perfect response to a silly question.

Our last pints of Guinness with a shot of Paddys whiskey.

Goodbye Ireland.
On the tarmac.

City centre, Oslo.



My notes. "Excuse me, we need to get here."
Waiting for the train. We missed the first one.
Jessheim's main street.

Skål (cheers), and all the best, mk.


No comments: