Tuesday, September 11, 2007

g a l w a y

Brian and I have arrived in Galway. The trip from Aughrim to Galway was the first time I've viewed the Irish countryside (it was dark on the trip in from Dublin). It was everything I expected it to be - green.rolling hills.mountains in the distance, hazy through the fog.sheep.stone-made fences - it was spectacular. Galway is a great relief from the busy city of Dublin. Every time I write this, or bring this up in a pub, I feel like a slow, backwards Iowan. It really isn't that I don't enjoy cities. I loved Washington, DC, but never felt rushed as I did in Dublin.

I'm staying at the Kinlay House Hostel in Galway City Centre. Barnacles beats Kinlay in 1) room size and 2) room/hallways/bathroom scent. Our room smells somewhat of a gym locker room. But, I'm sitting in a cozy lounge right now, enjoying a cup of tea, and listening to the Beatles being played over the stereo system. Kinlay wins in overall common-area atmosphere. I'm in the middle of job-searching and flat-searching. I missed our complementary breakfast (consists of toast AND cereal - Barnacles only offered toast, one point Kinlay) by five minutes. I'd like to write more, but I also want to update you all with some photos, which is no easy task. So, without further ado, here are the latest scenes from Matt's year abroad ...

The grounds of Trinity College.

Trinity College.

The view from the cappuccino bar that I posted from earlier last week. The red window/door above the blue awning to the right is the window from my Barnacles hostel room. The door was open without a screen for the three nights we were in Dublin, and there were no bugs in our room. Pretty amazing.

Dublin.

The Department of the Taoiseach. The Taoiseach is the Irish Prime Minister.

The River Liffey in Dublin.

St. Patricks Cathedral

inside of St Patrick's Cathedral.

A bar hymn ... pretty funny.

Lunch at a pub outside of St. Pats. Sausages, beans, and chips. And of course, a Beamish Irish Stout. It was terrific!
A busy Dublin Street.

St. Stephens Green.

The hostel / bar in Aughrim.

An old cemetery outside of a church in Aughrim. We really found out how small the town was the next morning.

Brian on a small trail we found connecting part of the main part of Aughrim to a school.

View from the bus on the way in to Galway.

View from our hostel room in Galway. In the distance you can see Galway Bay.

The River Corrib which runs through Galway.


Galway Bay.
The sun setting over Galway.

And last, but certainly not least, is our meal from yesterday evening. We decided we would save some euros and went with the EUR1.20 jar of ... stuff. Pickles, sauerkraut, peppers ... it was ... terrible. But it was cheap. What you can't see in this picture is the accompanying can of Guinness!

We had pints last night with two guys from Australia who we roomed with two nights ago. Great Aussies (said with a Z apparently, not an S). Much of our conversation was spent inquiring about life in Australia ... and their inquiring about life in the states. I was shocked to see how much of our American television and music is sent to Australia. One of the guys had a far better understanding of popular American tv shows than I did. They both were about a year out of college and up and decided to quit their jobs and spent four or five months traveling Europe. Why not now?

The job search shouldn't be to difficult. Flat searching, on the other hand, may prove to be a painful procedure. Most places for rent are listed in a weekly publication, The Galway Advertiser. It comes out every Wednesday at 12pm. Flat searchers (many from one of Galway's three or four colleges) line up early for a copy and leave the line already on their cell phones.

Brain and I will be with them tomorrow.

5 comments:

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

Once again - a special talent for sharing your experience. One of the most interesting and rewarding experiences in traveling are the people you meet along the way. Suggetion...take photos of them it helps to remember them and the time shareed.

BK said...

glad to hear your enjoyed the beamish. did you gank the glass?

Unknown said...

I want to be where you are! The pictures are incredible and I can imagine they do not give the experience you are have justice.
I am also relieved to find that you and Brian are getting a variety of the nutritional necessities required for living a quality life :) Good luck with the home hunt tomorrow and take care!

Anonymous said...

Nice job with the photos! The countryside looks spectacular and I wish I could go. That looks like one gross vegetable concoction. Do they have ramen noodles? Do you even have access to a microwave?

matthew d kyhnn said...

bk. no glass ganking. i don't want to end up in an irish jail!

phil. yes, i have access to a microwave! i actually haven't seen ramen. as expensive as everything is here, they'd probably run EUR4.00! I hope all is well at the tfund.