Friday, September 7, 2007

pictures.

So it has been no easy task to get some pictures uploaded onto here - either way, I have some below for your viewing pleasure! I may decide to share photos through an online journal - if I go that route, I will provide you all with a link. They don't quite fit when my post is published, if you click on each one, you can see the full shot. Enjoy!

View from the top of the Guinness Brewery Storehouse. There was a bar called the Gravity Bar which provided 360 degree views of Dublin. I took in the view while enjoying a complimentary pint of Guinness which I poured myself. In fact, it was a 'perfect pour' and I have a certificate to prove it!




A shot of the Dublin Castle.


My first true Irish Coffee. It was delicious. Strong black coffee, irish whiskey, brown sugar, and fresh whipped cream. A great pick-me-up on my first, jeg-lagged, night in Dublin at the Temple Bar.
A nighttime view of the River Liffey. It's about as clean as the Iowa River!

Advertisement at the Guinness Brewery.

Can you read the text? If not, here it is:

Why do you drink Guinness? It was a question Guinness's first advertising agency asked the men and women they found enjoying a pint or two in Dublin's pubs. "Because Guinness is good for me," was the answer they heard over and over again. And no wonder.

At the time, nursing mothers and patients recovering from illness were prescribed Guinness. Offered to people who had just donated blood, Guinness was a popular alternative to a cup of tea. Doctors wrote to the company in their thousands with letters just like this:

"I often prescribe Guinness, and for the following reasons in chief. A bottle of Guinness put in front of, say a dispirited patient has a wonderfully cheer producing effect. It looks potent and jolly and when consumed it acts as a stomachic and whip to the appetite. It makes the patient feel better and eat better and think cheerfully."

So Guinness was just what the doctor ordered.

Brian pouring his own perfect pint!

A view of the sun rising over the Atlantic. An amazing sight.

Our first pints of Guinness!

Our first pints at the Temple Bar.

The Temple Bar. Notice our 80 pound backpacks! I couldn't figure out how to rotate the image, so please, rotate your head.


Farewell shots of Jager with the folks. Miss you guys! The next shot of Jager (or two or three) would be with one, Gerry Lee.

Navagating the metro in DC with our packs. I'm attempting not to fall over.

Shots with Gerry Lee. He refused to look at the camera. Brian and I are convinced he is running from something or someone.

The packs!

Lori's dog, Chili. The most timid dog of that size I've ever met! He was great though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say this blog makes me very happy, it's like you never left! okay, I won't take it that far. I got to meet the Kyhnn's today! I talked a little bit more with mom than dad but they were coming to pick up your car from Shaun's and I was 110% thrilled to meet and chat with them! I am very pleased to know that you two are safe and that everything is going well for you. You are sorely missed but everyone is trying to keep up with the blog and happy that you are having a good time. See you in the UK in January! All my love,

Brightman

matthew d kyhnn said...

Thanks Chelsea. I do miss the old Tfund as well. Continue to follow me via this blog - I'll do my best to write as often as possible. All my best to you and the tfund family! Take care bman,

mk