Monday, September 24, 2007

work

My days of roaming are coming to an end - I officially begin work tomorrow morning at 10am. Where I'll be tomorrow night? Still up in the air. Advantages to soon having a 'home.' Personal space. A real shower towel. Income from the job. Disadvantages? The thrill of not knowing where I'll be spending the night until 6 or 7 that evening.

From Cork, Brian and I hitched a ride to Youghal (Pronounced yall). Youghal was a splendid little beachside town. Our hostel should have been named the Beach Haven Hostel as this one was indeed a stones throw away from the beach. We arrived in the dark last night but had a chance to walk around town today. We found an old pub on the edge of town that had closed down - it was for sale. We decided we should purchase the building and bring Clyde's back to life. Any potential investors out there? If I would have walked past a hotel that was hiring and provided accommodation, I would have stayed in Youghall. Alas, I didn't find this hotel, so here I am in Dublin, ready to begin work for face2face tomorrow.

I don't have much else for you. I should be attempting to sleep - early morning tomorrow. I'll leave you with this ...


In a sense, it's the coming back, the return,
which gives meaning to the going forth.
We really don't know where we've been until
we've come back to where we were.
Only, where we were may
not be as it was
because of who we've become,
which, after all, is why we left.

I read this at the hostel in Doolin. It gave me chills. I felt it was so telling, so close to my thoughts and decision to move out of the country for a year - away from friends, away from family, away from the familiar.

4 comments:

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

What a thought provoking quote - thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

That's a very lovely quote and one I couldn't help but write down to keep for myself. I'm so happy you and Brian will begin your time with face2face tomorrow. I've been anxious to hear about what it's like to approach a bystander on the street and ask for a philanthropic gift. Good luck the both of you!

Lauren said...

Have to agree, that quote is powerful and chill inspiring. Good luck with work, let me know how it goes.

Brightman said...

i hope you someday publish this travelBLOGue