Friday, September 7, 2007

whats the craic?

Whats the craic (crack)? Irish for, 'whats up?' I'm sitting outside of a cappuccino bar in the Temple Bar district of Dublin. I'm enjoying a great cup of coffee - strong coffee. Suits me well.

I woke this morning to some inconsiderate hostel roommates. One of them decided it was necessary to dry her hair with a hair dryer at 7:30am. She didn't have the necessary voltage converter so in turn fried her hair dryer. I can't say she has my sympathy!

Overall, I've really enjoyed the hostel experience. Staying in a low budget, ten bunk room is a great way to meet fellow travelers. Two German students left this morning for Galway. One of them spoke amazing English. I am also bunking with a woman who is traveling from Paris. Her English is questionable, but it is undoubtedly better than my French. Rarely in Iowa do you run into any sort of a language barrier, but not surprisingly it seems to be more common in Ireland. I'd be lost in a non English speaking country. Maybe I'll pick up another language while abroad?

Brian and I had our orientation with USIT this morning. Nearly everything covered had been provided in a book that came with my work permit. It was helpful to have the overview of what we need to do re: tax laws, registering immigration, etc. Until we have a tax certificate, our wages will be taxed at an emergency rate - 42%! Some of this will be refunded once we our issued the certificate.

Tonight is the last night in Dublin. I think as of now, our plan is to head to Galway tomorrow afternoon. We originally thought we might travel south through Cork and then up the west coast to Galway. EUR 5.00 pints and 2.35 cups of coffee have most likely changed that plan. I think it will make the most sense to get to Galway, find a flat, and search for a job.

The weather has been beautiful. Its 60 and partly cloudy right now. I've yet to smell an Irish rain. The woman who led our orientation said Dublin has had one of the wettest summers she can remember - 58 straight days of rain!

cheers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it got all the rain out of its system and you'll have only sunshine! I'll be ready for some cooler weather when we visit next month.

Tom & Kristine said...

just got a chance to see your blog. Good luck and have a good time.