Sunday, November 11, 2007

art gallery

I know I continue to write about this, but it continues to amaze me. So, until I get over the relatively small size of this world we inhabit, deal with it!

The owner of Nimmos and Ard Bia also owns an art gallery in Galway, the Ard Bia Gallery. After work on Friday evening, I found myself in a local hotel lounge with coworkers from Nimmos. We were at the hotel as there was a party with local artists and artists who were in town for an exhibition. Stereotypes can be terrible, but they are often times so true. If you picture thirty or so artists partying in a very modern, very chic type lounge, you can hopefully get a feel for the atmosphere I walked in to.

Let's just say I was a little out of my element. Nonetheless, as the evening progressed, I began to become more comfortable with the crowd I was spending my Friday night with. Of course, the pints of Guinness helped with the transition. The one thing the Guinness couldn't do was begin to make me understand the conversations about the pieces of art at the exhibition. I'm not entirely sure where I night went, but before I knew it it was no longer Friday night but early Saturday morning. We had moved from the lounge to the reception and sitting area. Someone must have known someone, because the pints of Guinness and Bulmers cider kept coming - despite the fact that it was hours after last call.

I decided it was time for me to make my way home to my hostel. It was late (or early), I was tired, and still fighting an ear infection. Not surprisingly, it was difficult for me to tear myself away from the party. Because, let's face it, I'm the life of the party - wherever I'm at.

As I was standing to leave, one of the girls said, "Remind me again, what part of the states do you come from?"

"I'm from the Midwest, from Iowa - I graduated from The University of Iowa in Iowa City in May," I let her know (perhaps for the second or third time).

All of a sudden, from across the room, I heard, "Wait, did someone just say Iowa City?"

It turns out one of the girls at the party had studied art the the UI's College of Art and Art History for four years. She graduated in 2006 and moved back to Galway. So, instead of leaving, I ended up having an hour long conversation about her time in Iowa City.

Thousands of miles from home, yet I'm still talking about the Ped Mall, Panchero's, and Quintons. Go figure.

2 comments:

L. Parker said...

Hey Matt!
Merry Christmas!! Took me some time to figure out how to do all this blogging. I still may not have it down if you don't get this. I'm still in the process of catching up on all that you've seen and done. How exciting!!!! I'm so jealous! Loved all the pictures! It reminded me of our trip to Ireland for the World Irishing dancing competition. As you, we had many adventures and we certainly fell in love with the country. I loved it all. Loved seeing Salthill through your eyes...we had stayed at a B&B there...Meredith was airlifted off the Cliffs of Mohr by gailforce winds..We saw small children Irish dancing on dirt roads in out of the way places..Drove through Youghal and removed a side mirror from the car along their narrow streets...Rode horses along the Ring of Kerry and went in search of the Bally Skelligs..Didn't know you could take a boat... Wish I had known..It's been a crazy fall. Meredith finished student teaching and is hunting for a job. Margaret loves her job at the steel mills and was sent on a road trip to Alabama..Julianne suddenly applied and was accepted into a Study Abroad program in Australia.. She leaves 02/15. She is studying the environment-Great Barrier Reef and rainforest around Cairns...I couldn't say no..It's an experience, as you know, that must be done when you're young. Will keep on blogging if this gets through to you...Stay safe and continue having fun. Love, Liz

matthew d kyhnn said...

Liz: So glad to see you've been following my blog. Interesting we traveled through the same cities.

Send my best to everyone. I'm so excited Julianne is heading to Aus. I'm considering making that the next stage of my journey. Who knows?!

All the best from Edinburgh & Happy New Year.

mk