Thursday, November 22, 2007

walk to galway bay

I spent yesterday dropping in and out of coffee shops and pubs - relaxing, drinking coffee, writing emails, reading, and basically enjoying a day of accomplishing nothing. Starting next week, I'll also be working days at Ard Bia's Cafe. Until then, I don't work most evenings until six or seven. So, my days are spent in coffee shops around Galway. Working in the service industry undoubtedly results in you having a strange schedule.

Speaking of work, I remembered a story I wanted to share with you all. I worked last Saturday day at Nimmos for a party we were having upstairs - a group of 35 celebrating a 25th wedding anniversary. I work with a lady who speaks nearly perfect English, she just has a heavy French accent. Right as the group was sitting down, Geraldine told me she wanted me to describe the menu to the group because of her accent.

What?!

While I have no problem speaking in front of groups, this fact changes when I'm describing a menu that I'm still learning - babaganoush, grilled halloumi, confit fennel, etc. Lets just say these weren't common things I discussed in my work at Telefund for four years.

"Geraldine," I said, "I really think it'd be better for you to describe everything - even with your accent - I'm still learning the menu!"

Nope. It went okay, but I wasn't exactly excited. Funny enough, when I finished, a man in the party said, "In English now, please."

I decided yesterday evening I was going to go for a walk around Galway and take pictures of the city. I ended up walking to the bay. I decided to take a quick video ...




As I was putting my camera away, I was thinking it was strangely clear - though not warm - for a Galway winter day. As if on cue, it then began to rain for my twenty minute walk back to town. Why wouldn't it? I'm in Ireland.

cheers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew,
Happy Thanksgiving! What do you have less than a month and than off to Great Britain? It may be a bit sad leaving Ireland but you don't know what adventures wait for you in parts unknown. Remember, your are there to experience all of Europe. Enjoy, I know you will, plus you can get Guiness in Great Britain.

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

I L O V E the video. It made me feel as if I could reach out and touch you.

Anonymous said...

Matthew - we missed you at Thanksgiving in Mequon. We love reading your blog. Aunt Sharlene