Thursday, November 1, 2007

(hopefully) one point, iowa.

A quick update on the job search:

I spent the greater part of yesterday walking around Galway handing out CVs to stores who were hiring (CVs being the European equivalent of a resume). I wasn't expecting anyone to immediately sit me down for an interview. Nonetheless, after four or five hours of walking around the city looking for help wanted signs, I was beginning to become tired and a bit frustrated that the perfect opportunity hadn't jumped out at me. As I was just getting ready to head back to my hostel, I saw a restaurant which had a sign that read, "Supervisor wanted at Ard Bia!" I didn't imagine there would be any chance I could land a job supervising a wait staff considering my limited (zero) experience waiting tables. But, I decided I'd at least drop of my CV.

So much of finding a job by dropping in to stores or restaurants is simple luck. Yesterday afternoon at Ard Bia, luck seemed to be in my favor.

As I walked in, I noticed a man at the computer entering in an order. With a smile on my face, I asked him if they were by chance hiring. He looked back, smiled, and said they might be. He then asked me to have a seat and said he would be with me in a moment. Score. This was farther than I had gotten in the previous four or five hours. Patrick came in, introduced himself, and asked what my story was.

"I just arrived in Galway yesterday, and I'm looking for work. I'm from the states, from Iowa, and am spending a year abroad," I let him know. "Iowa?" Patrick asked. "That's wonderful. I have a great friend who lives in Des Moines."

Thank you Iowa. After ten or so minutes of conversation, much of this being about the Midwest, Patrick decided he would like to have me work a trial shift. I worked last night at Nimmos - another restaurant he manages. It went as well as I could have hoped, especially considering my limited experience waiting tables. I'm not entirely sure if I've landed the job, but I'm working again tonight at Ard Bia, the other restaurant he manages.

No comments: