Monday, November 12, 2007

farewell, brian!

Hi, everyone. I just saw off my travel buddy in this year I'm spending abroad. Brian's hours were getting cut back at the Wine Bar where he was working, and he decided he was ready for something new. He was ready to escape the busy streets of Galway.

He has succeeded in doing that, to say the least.

Brian accepted a position to work at the Delphi Lodge, in the beautiful Connemara of Northwest Ireland. Check out the link to find out more about the scenic area where he will be spending the next six weeks. I'm not entirely sure of what he'll be doing (nor, for that matter, is he), but he'll be assisting in the salmon farming that goes on at the Delphi Estate. It won't be easy work, but it is right up Brian's alley. "I'm a farm boy from Iowa who isn't afraid of hard work," is what Brian told the staff at the Delphi Lodge.

He is going to at least give it a week and see how it goes. Best of luck, Brian.

As for me, I'm off to check out a potential apartment that has a room to rent for the next eight weeks. If this doesn't pan out, some friends from the hostel have rented a place near Galway's city centre. They don't have an extra bed, but they do have a couch. Even if I get the couch, I'm moving up in this world from the life of living in a hostel dorm room.

Also, I have pictures on the way from the week spent traveling with my folks. I'm working on descriptions of them but hope to have them posted in the next couple days.

cheers

3 comments:

LAURA said...

Matt! I have been reading your blog and keeping track of your BUNAC adventure. My sister is living in London on her own BUNAC trip...you should get in touch with her if you are looking for work in that area. She's at the end of her trip (her work visa expires at the end of the month) but in her last weeks I know she'd be willing to send some job/work/living arrangement insight to you.
Sounds like you're having such a great time...living life with the excitement of a pledge on a credit card.
xo
Palmer

Brightman said...

I can't believe you and brian are splitting! Scary, but kind of exciting! Good luck with the apartment!

Park Lodge Hotel Galway said...

The best way to discover Ireland in europe is by a car and ferry boats to Ireland in europe vacation program where you can; remain in a high-class resort and discover the nation at your own speed. You can package up your car with all you need, carry all members of the family members, even carry the dog if you wish and have your resort available for you when you appear.