Tuesday, November 6, 2007

the moment

As I write this, I'm sitting in the kitchen of my hostel. I'm here with eight other people who are either living in this hostel or coworkers of someone who lives here. We're enjoying drinks, conversation, and music. I decided I needed to sit down and write.


The eight people I'm with are more or less in the same situation I am. We're traveling. We're meeting new people. We're poor. We're living life. We're working or looking for work. More importantly, we're experiencing what exists outside of the comfortable place we call our home. All of our stories are somewhat different. But, we share as a common bond our desire to fully experience this world we live in.

When describing my situation to people I meet, I often tell them I'm, 'delaying the inevitable.' In a sense, this is true. Most likely, the inevitable is I settle down and get a steady job working forty or more hours a week. This is only the inevitable if I choose this path. It's not difficult to get by in Ireland. It is one god damn expensive country, but I'm doing okay. If I can survive here, I can survive anywhere. Will I eventually settle down? Sure. My family means too much to not eventually move home. As for now, I'm choosing to live my life differently than many of my peers. I wish more people would choose the path I'm taking. If this blog accomplishes one thing, let one person reading it decide that they'll move abroad. Escape their comfort zone.

I'm rambling. I know. Yesterday, I emailed the author of one of the few blogs I check regularly. If you're from Iowa City, there is a good chance you've read about him. Brian Triplett left home just before the beginning of 2007 and spent a year traveling throughout the world. Reading his blog furthered my desire to move abroad. His writings put my blog entries to shame. He ended his reply to my email with this:

"The best advice I can give you is to allow yourself to say yes to every opportunity that comes your way. It's not a vacation, it's an education."

cheers, brian. take care all. mk

2 comments:

Theakyhnn@gmail.com said...

It is nice to see you in the comfort of you own home with friends.

Brian said...

Thanks for the respect buddy. And more importantly, thanks for giving me something to read while I hang out in my comfort zone for a while. Let's rotate on and off so we're either traveling or reading about someone we know who is!

take care, good luck, and don't say no to anything..