Sunday, November 4, 2007

small world

I never cease to be amazed at how small this world we live in is. This fact was apparent again Thursday night as I was waiting tables at Ard Bia.

First, a quick update on the job ... I'm in! I still can't believe how lucky I was to stumble into the opportunity I have. If I wouldn't have met the general manager Wednesday afternoon, I'd still be searching for work. Patrick, the general manager, has been brilliant. When I'm working with Patrick, he does a terrific job of taking me under his wing and continually offering me advice. Waiting tables is completely foreign to me. If this isn't enough, I'm waiting tables in a foreign country - where everything I'm used to is a little bit different. The restaurant is quite small, but my responsibilities are multifaceted. In my role I serve as a host and seat customers, I cork bottles of wine, I bus tables, I take orders, I deliver food, I make coffees, I set tables, I dry wine glasses, I ... and the list goes on.

As for now, I'm looking at each night as a learning experience, and every night seems to go better than the last. I will be spending most of my time working at Nimmos Restaurant & Wine Bar, but I will also occasionally work at Ard Bia. Check out the links.

Anyway, I was working at Ard Bia on Thursday evening. As I was opening a bottle of wine for three ladies, one of them asked me where I was from. "I'm from the States, from Iowa," I let her know (It continues to be unnecessary to mention I'm from the States as it seems all I have to do is open my mouth and my accent is immediately apparent. This always amazes me as I've never thought of myself as having an accent.). This lady laughed and asked where in Iowa I was from. "I grew up about an hour west of Des Moines in Atlantic, but I went to school in Iowa City at The University of Iowa." She then informed me that she received her Masters from the College of Education at Iowa. She was in Galway on business.

What are the chances? If this wasn't enough, she continued with this. "The program I got my Masters in unfortunately no longer exists. I always get phone calls from students at the University asking me for support. I find it hard to give back the the College when they dropped my program." I chuckled and let her know that until about three months ago I was with that group of students calling and asking for her support.

A friend from Iowa made it to Galway to visit this weekend. An ex-Telefunder herself, Cat Gaa made the trip from Spain to visit Brian and I. As I was showing Cat around Galway on Saturday, I realized that from a tourist's perspective, there isn't much to see or do in Galway. It is a lovely city that in many ways reminds me of Iowa City - yet it is void of the history that encompasses so many Irish towns and villages. Either way, I think Cat enjoyed her brief stint in Ireland. Cat is spending a year in Seville, Spain, teaching English to high school students and teachers - follow Cat on her adventure here.

No comments: