Thursday, November 8, 2007

conversation

I'm sitting with Brian at his hostel right now. We're researching work for when we move to the UK. Look at us, planning in advance. One thing we're contemplating is chalet work someplace in the Alps. The work would provide accommodation, a weekly wage, but most importantly passes for skiing / snowboarding. Many of these positions require UK visas, which we have. We're only in the beginning phases of looking for this work ... I will keep you posted as to what we find.

I wanted to share with you a conversation I had through Gmail Chat with a friend from home yesterday evening ...

Friend: So, like as soon as you got a job in Ireland you have to pick up shop and go to UK? How are you gonna do that?

Me: No worries man. The GM that hired me knew I'd only be here until Christmas time. It's the hospitality industry, turn over is higher than Telefund.

Friend: Wow dude you're really doing it. Are you gonna come back stateside for the Holidays at all?

Me: Doubtful. Too expensive. The folks were here last week.

Friend: Then when will you return?

Me: No clue man. It's addictive, this traveling. It's so thrilling to know that I carry all of my possessions on my back. I have no connections, anywhere. I'm gaining an education that tuition at The University of Iowa will never provide me. The world is huge guy, it's up to us to explore it. Life is too short not to.

Friend: Wow dude, but you're poor, there is no stability. How are you doing that?

Me: I'm not poor, though. I'm living comfortably in the most expensive country in Europe. Granted, I don't have steak and lobster every night for dinner, but I'm doing okay. Stability is simply a mindset you become comfortable with. I lived with stability for 22 years of my life. I have the rest of my life to be, quote stable. When will I ever be able to see the world as carefree as I'm seeing it now?

Friend: Very True Matthew. Well then you are stable. It sounds really cool. I think I'm going to try an plan a little Europe adventure for after I graduate. I'm going to start the real world 8am to 2am grind in July so I may need an escape beforehand. Will you Still be adventuring in June?

Me: 95% sure I will be. Not sure I'll be in Europe by that time. But, I'll be someplace. You really need to. So many of our peers graduate, and find jobs. This is such an American concept. 95% of the people I meet traveling are taking a gap year in between school and work. Very few of these people are from the states.

Friend: I think I'd like to only go for a few weeks or a month. Years is too long for me

Me: Some is better than none. I have to go. We're having pints for a friend who is leaving for Australia. Seriously consider traveling. Follow my blog. My desire to move was furthered by reading about Brian Tripplet (fellow iowa alum who left home about a year ago). If my blog accomplishes one thing, I want it motivate someone to escape their comfort zone of home, and move away. All the best, cheers, mk


See you on the other side of the world, Wes.

1 comment:

Cat said...

How refreshing to know that people have the same sentiment as me about living abroad. Gap years are still educational!

I love reading about your adventures! On one hand, it's so nice to have a contract and jobs and be established in one place, but it's so thrilling to be flying by the seat of your pants as you and Brian are doing. I'm secretly jealous of you both!

And in case you didn't know, I am a HUGE snowboarder. So go work in the Alps and score me a free lift pass. Seriously. I'll be out there all the time. Bring Emma, too!

Thanks again for a great weekend. Can't wait to see you guys here in Spain in a few months! Cheers.